You can view The Atkinson before you come by clicking on our Visual story before visiting The Atkinson.
Full details and maps of how to reach us are in the Visit Us section of the website.
You can plan your journey by car or public transport by using www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is PR8 1DB, to get directions.
The nearest railway station is Southport which is approximately 3 minutes walk from the venue and has frequent services to and from Liverpool, Wigan, Ormskirk and further afield. Taxis are available at the station, where there is a taxi office. Accessible taxis services are available at the station.
The nearest bus stop to The Atkinson is on Lord Street outside Christ Church. Local bus information is at www.arrivabus.co.uk
Bus timetables are available from Merseytravel on 0870 608 2608. Train times are available from National Rail Enquiries on 08457 484950.
The Atkinson is in the centre of Southport and has a number of car parks close by including those on Tulketh Street, the train station and a park and ride service from the Esplanade. For further information on parking please click HERE
After 6.00pm there is FREE on street parking available down Lord Street and throughout the town. Please note all signs when you are parking, do not park in a Taxi Rank.
If you hold a Blue Badge, you can park in either of the 2 designated parking spaces outside The Atkinson. These spaces are available on a first come, first served basis. Parking is only for The Atkinson visitors and not for general disabled parking for the town. Access is from the bollards outside Southport Town Hall, please press the button and a member of the team will let you in.
There is one blue badge parking space on Market Street, next to the old Carlton Hotel and on the corner of the Vincent Hotel (approx. 5 minutes from The Atkinson). There are also two spaces on Eastbank Street (facing Superdrug) (approximately 6 minutes from The Atkinson).
There are accessible toilets throughout the building and a dedicated spacious accessible toilet facility on the Ground Floor
We have a fully equipped adult changing facility with disabled toilets and a changing bed and hoist. The room has an emergency chords at high and low levels, a shower and privacy screen and it is fully lockable for your peace of mind.
There are accessible toilets on the 2nd Floor
The Atkinson is a large Grade II listed building
Main Entrance, Foyer, Shop, Box Office and Bakery
- Access is at street level, the main entrance is a paved flat surface with a slight uphill gradient. There are automatic doors at the main entrance and approximately 5 metres in to the foyer space.
- There is a lift to all floors, accessible toilets throughout the building and wheelchair spaces within the ground level section of the auditorium. We also have wheelchairs on site for visitor use if required.
- The Shop and Box Office is on the left hand side and is fully accessible with low-level counter.
- An induction loop is set up on our Box Office counter and full infra-red emitters are in all our performance spaces
- The building is well-lit.
- Tables and chairs in the café are free standing. Large print menus will be available on request.
- Ramps allow for wheelchair and pushchair access to the ground floor library and lift. The junior library is accessible via the lift in the main library.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor in between the foyer and the Library – this is accessible with a radar key. If you don’t have one – please ask any member of staff or at any manned desk on the ground floor.
- The Bakery is on the right hand side of the entrance and is fully accessible with no steps.
- The Shop is open when the Box Office is open
The Performance Spaces
- The Auditorium has a loop system. Please request assistance at Box Office
- Wheelchairs enter the Theatre from the lower level or if seated at the back of the theatre, from level 2. There is a lift and a member of the team is always on hand to help you in any way.
- Within the Studio wheelchairs enter through the main doors – there are no steps.
- There are disabled toilets within the Studio
- The Theatre Bar is on level 1 has no steps and the counter in lowered in the centre for access
- The Studio Bar is on level 1 within the actual performance space on the left hand side and the counter is lowered for access
- There are two steps and ramp with hand-rail at library entrance.
- There is lower level access point at cash desk.
- There are two steps and lift down to junior library from main library.
- We offer longer loan periods and overdue charge arrangements to borrowers with visual impairment.
- We offer a selection on large print fiction & non-fiction books for standard loan.
- We offer spoken word fiction & non-fiction in CD format. Issued on the same basis as a standard book loan and not chargeable.
- Sefton library service offers an e-book and e-audio book lending service, staff in the library can help with accessing this service.
- All public use computers have software installed to increase text size.
- There are large format colour coded keyboard and mouse available on request.
- The computers are fully accessible with adjustable table heights available.
- The self- service machines have the facility to increase text size.
- There is a portable Hearing Loop available on request.
- There are 2 steps into the Children’s Library
- You can use the lift just press -1 and it will take you to the Children’s Library
The Atkinson, Lord Street, Southport Merseyside PR8 1DB
Telephone: Box Office: 01704 533333
Library: 0151 934 2113
Hours Of Operation: Box Office 10am – 5pm Monday to Friday, 10 – 4pm Saturday 11am – 4pm